Kyoorius Designyatra Goa 2014: Announcing the Speakers
Every year, the design world awaits its favourite event on the calendar, and we are inching closer to it. The Kyoorius Designyatra is just round the corner. Since its inception in 2006, Designyatra has steadily risen to become a staple in the world of digital technology and design. It is a three day festival of ideas and actions, involving many masters in the industry and the art of design.
Legendary designer and typography maestro Roberto de Vicq de Cumptich once expounded the difference between art and design in a very succinct fashion – “I like design because [in] design you have a problem and you have a solution … and you have a problem that existed outside of yourself. Art is different: [In art], you have to pose the problem.” Design exists to pose answers to questions of the marketplace. Designers, then, are makers, problem-solvers, striving to integrate the lives of people in the context of civilization. This year, the underlying theme of the festival is posed as a problem – ‘What if?’ What follows is a vast universe of possibility that, as a designer, one must exploit, curate, and answer. With this aim in mind, the Designyatra seems like a perfect place for a student of design to be a part of.
Kyoorius is a non-profit initiative from Transasia Papers, and has been galvanizing the Indian design community for nearly a decade now. The three day event commences on the 11th of September and goes on till the 13th. Day 1 focuses on the digital aspect of design, under the banner of IAA Kyoorius Digiyatra. Delegates can expect to hear enlightening thoughts on the intricacies of designing everything digital – from webpages to apps. Since we are moving towards an increasingly digital world, where all the functions of a humanoid helper are expected to be performed by a soap-box sized flat screen device, designing applications that are able to add value to our lives while working under these constraints is a big challenge. Delegates can expect to interact with the likes of:
1. Dhairya Dand – Designer, Researcher & Artist at MIT Media Lab
2. Elizabeth McGuane – Content Strategist & User Experience Designer
3. Fernanda ‘Fefa’ Romano – Chief Creative Officer, Naked Brazil
4. Gaston Legorburo – Executive Director & Worldwide Chief Creative Officer
5. Christian Etter – Founder of Etter Studio
6. Tim Malbon – Founding partner of Made by Many
Days 2 and 3 are dedicated to the Designyatra. Like every year, Kyoorius presents to you a company of the most innovative thinkers and doers in the field of design. This version of the Designyatra comprises of the following speakers:
1. Ajaz Ahmed – CEO and founder of AKQA
2. David Berman – Founder, David Berman Communications
3. David Law – Founder, Co-Owner, Executive Strategic Creative Director, SomeOne
4. David Sherwin – Fellow, Frog Design
5. Ivan Chermayeff – Principal, Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv
6. Liam Paton – Co-Founder & Music Director, Silent Studios
7. Michael Wolff – Founder, Michael Wolff & Company
8. Morihiko Hasebe – Executive Creative Director, Hakuhodo Inc.
9. Jonathan Ford – Founding Partner & Chief Creative Officer, Pearlfisher
10. Mat Heinl – Chief Executive Officer, Moving Brands
11. Natasha Jen – Partner, Pentagram
12. Nathan Prince – Co-Founder & Creative Director, Silent Studios
13. Simon Manchipp – Founder, Co-Owner, Executive Strategic Creative Director, SomeOne
14. Stalin K – Director & Managing Trustee, Video Volunteers
Kyoorius Designyatra will take place from the 11th to the 13th September, at the Grand Hyatt, Bambolim, Goa. For more information and speaker profiles regarding the Designyatra, you can visit their webpage here, and for the Digiyatra, here. In case of any queries, you can get in touch with Reena Bajaj at [email protected] and +91 9819010115.