Casting a safe eye out to sea
Fort Aguada and its lighthouse is a well-preserved seventeenth-century Portuguese fort standing on Sinquerim Beach in Goa. It was was constructed in 1612 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas.
This old Portuguese fort stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi River. It was initially tasked with the defense of shipping and the nearby Bardez sub district. A freshwater spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that used to stop by which is how the fort got its name: Aguada, meaning water.
Photography credit: Vishal Jalan